Friday, May 4, 2012

It isn't Easy, It isn't Clear... Its Real


Linking up with The Gypsy Mama for Five Minute Fridays.
When last did you write for fun?
Not to impress anyone, not for blog hits or comments or Pinterest pins?
When last did you just write?
On Fridays over here a group of people who love to go all out buck wild for the fun of the written word gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes. Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
If you have writer’s block – we have the cure <—click to tweet this!
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments.
OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes on:



Real...


Why is it that real is what I crave in others, but resist so much in myself?

I avoid people I feel aren't real, that present the fake or shallow areas of their life with me. Yet sharing the most real parts of myself with those around me is so darn difficult.

Hypocritical much? I think so.

I have a blog post that has been swirling around in my head for at least two weeks. I haven't even written it and just saved it as a draft, because it is so real. I don't have a huge blog following, but even so, I know it will be offensive to some, and even seem critical to others. Probably only one or two people would agree or even be encouraged by it.

But I can't get those one or two people out of my mind. What if what I have to say, is God given, just for them. Maybe its exactly what they need to hear to know they are not alone. How many times have read other's words only to find exactly what I needed to hear/read.

Also, I don't feel qualified to write such a post, as it will require a level of depth I fear I don't have. I am not a Bible scholar, and quoting scripture has never come easily to me.

However, the other night at bible study, one of the young wives hesitantly shared an opinion with me along the exact lines of what my possible future blog would be about. She and I were both shocked to find we shared the same thoughts and opinions.... it was the first either of us had heard another Christian lady whisper such feelings.

Maybe this was a sign from God, some encouragement, to be real, and dang it, vulnerable.


We had a tragic event in our town this week. A young, gorgeous, vibrant, sweet, and much loved girl lost her life in a tragic series of events. She was very much a part of several of our college kids lives. Pain and confusion are rampant on campus. Emotions are everywhere.

I had a dream the night it happened that many kids gathered at our house, and the girl that was lost showed up in ghost like form. We all sat and listened as she verbalized every "why" question I have heard in our student friends verbalize, or just t seen in their eyes.

Their emotions are real, and cover a wide spectrum - denial, grief, anger, ambivalence.

I don't have answers for them, but if ever there was a time to be real... it is now.

In closing, for "our kids," these words.


Woke up this morning
And I heard the news
I know the pain of a heartbreak
I don’t have answers 
And neither do you
I know the pain of a heartbreak

This isn’t easy
This isn’t clear
And you don’t need Jesus
Til you’re here
Then confusion and the doubts you had
Up and walk away
They walk away
When a heart breaks

I heard the doctor
But what did he say
I knew I was fine about this time yesterday
I don’t need answers
I just need some peace
I just need someone who could help me get some sleep
Who could help me get some sleep

This isn’t easy
This isn’t clear
And you don’t need Jesus
Til you’re here
Then confusion and the doubts you had
Up and walk away
They walk away
When a heart breaks

This isn’t easy
This isn’t clear
And you don’t need Jesus
Til you’re here
Then confusion and the doubts you had
Up and walk away
They walk away
When a heart breaks

Lyrics: Ben Rector

8 comments:

  1. If God has given you that special post to write, I pray He'll also give you the courage to hit the Publish button.
    I love the Elisabeth Eliot quote on your page. Now there's a REAL person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that dilemma about whether to post something can be so hard! I actually just started a new blog today because my normal blog was just too....focused on funny stuff about my kids to feel like I could just switch gears easily and talk about "real" stuff.

    I hope you get some wisdom on whether to post or not. I know that decisions like that have so many variables!

    Found you through They Gypsy Mama's linky party.

    www.inthetangles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..that hit me like a door in the face. I haven't ever thought about it that way...Refusing for myself what I demand of others....Thank you for that thought. God will give you the words and courage for that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Casey. Its a tough concept for sure, but one I am really trying to let the Lord teach me.

      Delete
  4. Hi! It's fun to find some other TN blogs! I'm in TN too, even farther east.

    Michele :)

    www.myfavoritethings-michele.blogspot.com
    www.myotherfavoritethings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Will have to check out your blogs. Yes, its always nice to find people from "your neck to the blogging woods.":)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for your sweet words! Hope you had a blessed weekend!

      Delete